Thursday, May 13, 2010

Rappers

For this project, I observed the interactions of a rap group. I chose to observe a rap group because I listen to rap, and wanted to know more about the culture. I wanted to observe if the art of rapping had an actual business aspect. I went into the project not knowing much about the group; I came out with a wealth of knowledge. I liked this project because it gave me the opportunity to see into the life of a culture that I had very little knowledge of.

I learned a lot about not just rap music, but about different people from different cultures too. One of the members in the group had been arrested, and he felt that rapping was the only way to stay out of trouble. I also learned that recording in a studio is expensive. I was surprised that members of the rap group had jobs just so they could pay for studio time. Also, the members of the group all had different directions that they wanted to go. When I hear about famous groups breaking up, I now have a clearer understanding as to why this may happen. It may not be because they are at a big disagreement like the media may portray, but for the fact they wish to pursue their own ventures. I can relate this to the professional work world. Often, we will change our focus because we feel that our skills are better suited for other projects.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Hloud,

    I really enjoyed reading your post. First of all, the creativity you used on choosing a group was amazing. I would have never thought about observing a group like that. The short post you did provided me with information I did not know of as well. I do have a friend that is a rapper, and I have witnessed him go through some of the things you mentioned in your post. Most people don’t realize that rappers don’t become famous overnight (most of them). It takes a lot of time and effort to get their name out there. Several famous rappers such as Eminem, Jay-Z, and Lil Wayne had been rapping for years, even had CDS out before anyone knew who they were. Overall, I enjoyed reading your post!

    ReplyDelete