Saturday, May 15, 2010

Interesting Concept

A concept that I found interesting in chapter 15 is Gender Swapping. I have never heard of this term, and was more intrigued when I found out the definition. Harris states the definition to be someone who portrays themselves as a different gender in CMC. I have never heard of this being done, and was shocked to see the percentages of how many people are estimated to have done it. I find it hard to believe that 40% to 60% of people are believed to have done this. I wanted to find out more information, so I did some research.

After doing some research, I find out a number of reasons why someone would want to participate in gender swapping. One reason was that it is a way to draw more attention to ones self. It seems that getting noticed on the internet is hard, and as a result some depend on gender swapping to get noticed. Another reason that was given was that male/females may want to get a better understanding of the opposite. They may not have a median for it, so they assume that gender. I can truly say I have learned something that was out of my scope of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment